I know my entire family tries to eat lighter and let’s be honest, it’s better for us and we typically feel better too. My sister shared this recipe with me while experimenting with lighter dinner options while on her diet. By the way she lost 50 pounds and looks fantastic. This taco salad substitutes the higher fat content from ground beef with lean ground turkey meat without losing the flavor. I know some of you might be thinking, “well turkey is so bland in flavor.” Yes you are right but it is a great substitute because it can take on so many different flavor profiles without being too overpowering.
This is a one pot recipe that is so quick to make and delicious that you need this in your recipe arsenal. If you don’t want the taco salad version, you can use the filling in tacos and I am going to use the leftovers as the stuffing inside Stuffed Poblanos!
Lite Turkey Taco Salad
Serves 4-8 mouths
- 1 Lb. Ground Turkey (90% lean)
- 1/2 Pkg. Taco Seasoning (I got mine from Trader Joes)
- 1 12 Oz. Can Diced Tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 12 Oz. Can Can Back Beans (strained)
- 1 12 Oz. Can Corn – Drained
- 1 Carrot – Grated
- 1 Zucchini – Sliced in half and then sliced into 1/4 inch pieces.
- 1 Head Shredded Cabbage
- Shredded Cheese (I used cheddar) *Optional
- 1-2 Avocado (cubed)
- Sour Cream/Greek Yogurt *Optional
- Tortilla Chips *Optional
- In a large skillet, cook the turkey, tomatoes, zucchini, corn, taco seasoning, and black beans until cooked through (about 5 mins).
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- On a clean plate, put a handful of shredded cabbage in the middle of the plate.
- Top the cabbage with the taco mixture.
- Garnish with cubed Avocado, Greek Yogurt/Sour Cream, Cheese, and Tortilla Chips