A favorite restaurant in town serves grilled artichokes as an appetizer during the summer that are positively heavenly. It’s a guarantee that I will order them so after my Birthday dinner comprising of said Grilled Artichokes, I was determined to re-create them at home. The result was perfection!
Honestly, they are so easy to make you just need to have the time to boil the artichokes first before throwing them on the grill.
These should be a staple of everyone’s entertaining menu during the summer. Plus they are so pretty that you hardly need a centerpiece for decoration; instead you eat it! Lemons in a bowl are out, Grilled Artichokes are in!
Try these, you will not be disappointed. Unless you don’t like artichokes and then you have bigger problems!
Grilled Artichokes with Aoili – Serves 4
*Make the Aioli ahead of time and let sit in the fridge while the artichokes are cooking/grilling.
- 1 Egg Yoke
- 1/4 C. Mayo
- 1.5 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice (a bit of the zest as well)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl well. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Trim the tops of the 2 Artichokes as well as tops of the leaves and a bit of the bottom stem.
- Fill a pot of water and bring to a boil.
- Heat the Grill to high heat.
- Boil the Artichokes whole for about 30 minutes.
- Pull them out of the boiling water and put in an ice bath to stop the cooking (water and ice cubes)
- Once cool, cut in half.
- Scoop out the fuzzy hairs inside.
- Cover the flesh side in olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Place artichokes flesh side down on the grill and let cook for about 10 minutes. Check on them to see if they have a good char on them. May need to adjust cooking time accordingly.
- Remove from the grill once the right char has been achieved and serve with the Aioli.